Walker Evans may be Columbus' ultimate downtown cool kid. Sure, Matt runs the edgy theater; Alaina has that blog we can't stop reading; Mike is the face of Indie; Liz opens the most popular restaurants. But no one can quite garner the attention of this ColumbusUnderground guru.
Walker remains the guy everyone claims to know. The name mentioned in the remarks of leaders and in the chatter of hipsters. The government guys drop his name to hint at a certain street savvy - they know the pulse of the urbanists. The 30-something crowd infers effortless acquaintance - oh, you know Walker, right? The 20-somethings invite him to speak to their professional organizations, ready to learn what they can before fully hatching their plans to dethrone him.
But, how many people can Walker really know? To find out, I challenge you downtowners to this - take a look at this Walker Evans Effect checklist and find out if you can really claim to know the cool kid. Every statement you say YES to, gets you one point toward your WEE Factor.
- I read ColumbusUnderground.com
- I regularly comment or add content to ColumbusUnderground.com
- I know what CU originally started as
- I went to high school / college with the guy
- I know at least three personal details about Walker - like his kids name, high school mascot and favorite cupcake flavor
- I've attended programs or events that Walker has spoken at
- I've introduced myself one-on-one to Walker
- I've had coffee with Walker (and fewer than 6 other people)
- I've served on a committee with Walker
- I'm reasonably confident that Walker would remember my name if I ran into him downtown
- I'm reasonably confident that Walker would remember my name if I ran into him in Canada
- I have proof that Walker remembers my name ... or at least my handle
- He's tagged me in a Facebook photo
- He introduced me to my wife / husband
- I'm a regular at CU Meetups
- I've played kickball with Walker
- I've been to Walker's place (and, no, realtor open houses don't count)
- I am wildly passionate about streetcars - and, frankly that should count for something
Your WEE Factor:
0 - 5 points: Let's be honest - you're kind of a Walker Stalker, right?
6 - 11 points: You're at least Facebook friends. And, that's almost like a real friend, right?
12+ points: Ok, so you definitely know him. Heck, you might even have gone to the prom with him.